Taint error patch 7.3
  • Hello,

i got something new from the taint log today,

9/27 11:14:47.061 Interface\FrameXML\ActionButton.lua:718 ActionButton_OnEvent()
    9/27 11:14:47.061 An action was blocked in combat because of taint from Auc-Advanced - MultiBarBottomLeftButton3:Show()
    9/27 11:14:47.061 Interface\FrameXML\ActionButton.lua:364 ActionButton_Update()
    9/27 11:14:47.061 Interface\FrameXML\ActionButton.lua:720 ActionButton_OnEvent()
    9/27 11:14:47.061 Interface\FrameXML\ActionButton.lua:207
    9/27 11:14:47.061 Interface\FrameXML\ActionButton.lua:718 ActionButton_OnEvent()
    9/27 11:14:47.061 An action was blocked in combat because of taint from Auc-Advanced - MultiBarBottomLeftButton3:Show()
    9/27 11:14:47.061 Interface\FrameXML\ActionButton.lua:364 ActionButton_Update()
    9/27 11:14:47.061 Interface\FrameXML\ActionButton.lua:720 ActionButton_OnEvent()
    9/27 11:14:47.061 Interface\FrameXML\ActionButton.lua:207
    9/27 11:14:47.063 Interface\FrameXML\ActionButton.lua:718 ActionButton_OnEvent()
    9/27 11:14:47.063 An action was blocked in combat because of taint from Auc-Advanced - MultiBarBottomLeftButton3:Show()
    9/27 11:14:47.063 Interface\FrameXML\ActionButton.lua:364 ActionButton_Update()
    9/27 11:14:47.063 Interface\FrameXML\ActionButton.lua:720 ActionButton_OnEvent()
    9/27 11:14:47.063 Interface\FrameXML\ActionButton.lua:207

any idea's ?
  • Whatever is causing this taint is still proving very hard to track down. After fixing some obvious taint in the last update, I've still been getting intermittant blocked actions like this (not very often, which makes everything that much harder to try to track down :( )

From taint logs like this one you can track back only so far.
    (Technical stuff) This log shows that the taint entered the execution path at ActionButton.lua line 718. This points to self.action being the source.
    After getting a blocked action I ran a quick test using issecurevariable and verified that only the "action" and "feedback_action" keys are tainted (and a quick check of the code reveals the "feedback_action" is copied from "action").
    What this tells us is that the "action" key was already tainted some time before this event started.

For me the taint is reported as coming from LibExtraTip.
    My guess is the taint is somehow spreading from a tooltip somewhere, but I can't see where.

One thing would be to try disabling chunks of LibExtraTip to see if the problem goes away.
  • i'm getting the same type of random button taints from either Auctioneer and Altoholic equally and they both have buttons in the SlideBar.

somehow i suspect that the buttons in the SlideBar might be contributing to this, the bar offers a way to quickly open Auctioneer or Altoholic search interfaces and those are permanent on-screen buttons.

i'll try to disable the SlideBar completely and see if i continue to get such random errors... i might be wrong here.
  • I'm seeing it blamed on Auctioneer, Bagnon, LibExtraTip, etc.
    Doing a UI reload then the same action again results in different random addons being blamed, or sometimes the action works.
  • So far, if i get a blocked action, then reload and try to recreate what I was doing at the time, I don't get the blocked action again. Also I seem to only get blocked actions just after entering combat. I suspect the taint is being spread while out of combat, but only triggers errors when in combat, so what you were doing when the error actually pops up is irrelevant.

I suspect that more than one AddOn may be spreading taint anyway - I have also occasionally seen taint blamed on Altoholic, which has nothing to do with Auctioneer or Action Bars.
  • I get the error while far from combat, usually in the order hall. The most common cause seems to be the "complete daily quest instantly" abilities on the map (available to some classes).
  • I haven't had blocked actions from the map for a while, seems like the map AddOns I use have been modified to fix that. There were two issues, either when using the Instant Quest button, or when opening/closing the map in combat. While not the same as the ActionButton errors in the OP, it might have a similar cause?

Another blocked action I get very rarely is when applying equipment to order hall followers.
  • 1 week later report:
    after i disabled the SlideBar the volume of ActionButton taints has decreased, but is still not completely gone.

there's definitely something happening with the buttons on the SlideBar when i have it enabled... maybe it doesn't like that i also have SexyMap installed? (that one adds another set of buttons, grouped around the minimap)
  • I'm still trying out disabling some of the hooks in LibExtraTip, but no luck so far.

Looking into SlideBar, it displays buttons provided by LibDataBroker. The buttons from Auctioneer etc. are not secure buttons, so I still don't see how it could be connecting to the secure ActionBar system? But SexyMap sounds like it may be another LDB display AddOn, so they could be interacting?
  • i searched for the substring "broker" (case insensitive) in all of the files belonging to SexyMap: 0 hits in 0 files. It doesn't use LibDataBroker directly.

however, it tries to detect if LibDBIcon is active - it doesn't install it though, but BigWigs Bossmods, TradeSkillMaster, AskMrRobot, Skada and other addons will install LibDBIcon.

if SexyMap finds buttons belonging to LibDBIcon it will process them:
    warcraft\AddOns\SexyMap\Buttons.lua
    line 338:
    -- Only add Blizz buttons, addon buttons & LibDBIcon buttons
    if blizzButtons[n] or dynamicButtons[n] or addonButtons[n] or n:find("LibDBIcon") then
    -- Create the animations
    f.sexyMapFadeIn = f:CreateAnimationGroup()

(and so on)

and then LibDBIcon will import LDB:
    if not LibStub then error(DBICON10 .. " requires LibStub.") end
    local ldb = LibStub("LibDataBroker-1.1", true)
    if not ldb then error(DBICON10 .. " requires LibDataBroker-1.1.") end

Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

privacy
norganna's addons network · tf2 warehouse · scrap warehouse · auctioneer addon · gatherer addon · addon forums · rdrct